Black-eyed peas symbolize growing wealth and prosperity because they swell up when you soak them for cooking. You can use the canned variety to save time; just make sure you rinse them well.
Yield: 6 servings
- ¾ cup avocado oil or olive oil
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup sugar (or to taste)
- 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup diced celery
- 2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Blend the avocado oil, vinegar, and sugar.
- Shake well and set aside.
- Stir together the black-eyed peas, red onion, cilantro, celery, and jalapenos in a bowl.
- Pour the oil mixture over the top.
- Stir to coat the vegetables.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Just before serving, check the taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with lime wedges to squeeze over the top.