Rick and gooey pecan pie is kicked up with a healthy glug of bourbon and a generous amount of bittersweet chocolate chips.
Yields 2, 9-inch deep dish pies | Cook time: 45 to 55 minutes
Ingredients (as listed on the recipe card)
- 2 unbaked deep dish, 9-inch pie crusts
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup good bourbon whiskey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan and let it turn golden brown.
- Add the bourbon and corn syrup and simmer for about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs. Add the sugars, beating until the mixture is thick.
- Add vanilla.
- Fit each pastry into 9-inch deep dish plate. Arrange 2 cups of the pecan halves on the bottom of the pastry.
- Chop the remaining cup of pecans and sprinkle over the pecan halves. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the pecans.
- Mix the egg and the butter mixtures until well blended. Pour over the pecans.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out nearly clean.
- Let cool completely before cutting.