Follow this recipe to create a holiday pie of your very own!
Ingredients: Pie Filling
- 1 quart (4 cups) cranberries, chopped (add some whole berries, too)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg white
Ingredients: Pie Crust
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening, chilled
- 1/2 to 1/3 cups ice water
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and the shortening. Use a pastry blender or two forks to break up the butter and mix it with the flour/salt combination. You should be left with pea-sized crumbles.
- Add ice to 1/2 cup of water. Add to crust mixture 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring well after each tablespoon. You know you have added enoughw water when the dough begins to clump, somewhere around 1/2 cup of water.
- Using your hands, work the dough into a ball and then divide it into half. Form each half into a 1-inch disk. Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- While waiting for the crust to set in the refrigerator, toss the cranberries, sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl.
- Once the crust is ready, roll it out and place it out in the bottom of your pie plate.
- Add cranberry filling to the pie plate and add pieces of butter to the top.
- Roll out the other portion of dough. You can lay the crust over pie filling or you can create a lattice as shown in the photo. If you cover the whole pie with one piece, be sure to cut a few vents in the crust.
- Add egg white and water to a small bowl and beat well.
- Brush the crust with the egg mixture and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 40 minutes, until the crust is just golden.
- Enjoy your delicious Christmas pie!