Dr Pepper has been a part of Texas culture since locals took their first, fizzy sips way back in 1885 at Morrison’s Old Corner Drug Store in Waco. It is, in fact, the country’s oldest major brand soft drink – even if most Texans do call it a “coke.”
The 23 flavors that make up the classic flavor of Dr Pepper are just as delicious in cakes and other foods as they are in the bottle. Texas’s favorite soft drink also makes a great marinade for beef, chicken, and pork. It is delicious in cakes, cookies, ice creams, pies, and even jams.
Dr Pepper Bundt Cake
Makes 12 servings
Dr Pepper Bundt cake is dense and sweet with a delicate Dr Pepper flavor that is just different enough to have guests ask what it is. This cake keeps very well when tightly covered on the counter or freezes nicely for up to 3 months. Try it with a cherry ice cream- it is absolutely delicious!
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup original Dr Pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Grease a large Bundt pan and dust it with flour.
- Melt the butter.
- Blend the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the sugar to a mixer bowl.
- Add the melted butter and beat until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Continue to beat on medium speed for about a minute.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture alternately with the Dr Pepper, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Beat on low speed until well blended.
- Fold in the sour cream until no white streaks remain.
- Spoon into the prepared Bundt pan.
- Bake at 325F for 45 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely and carefully loosen the sides and turn out of the pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
Adults-Only Chocolate Dr Pepper Float
A well-known Sonic drive-in favorite is a Dr Pepper with chocolate syrup. This version is similar but for adults only, while retaining all of the chocolate and Dr Pepper goodness. The cool drink is perfect for sitting on the deck watching the kids chase lightening bugs on a hot summer evening.
- 2 ounces Whipped® vodka
- 2 ounces clear crème de cocoa
- 1 ounce vanilla vodka
- 1 scoop vanilla or chocolate ice cream
- 1 12-ounce can original Dr Pepper
- Maraschino cherries
- Add the Whipped® vodka, crème de cocoa, and vanilla vodka to a shaker.
- Fill with ice, and shake until the sides are very cold.
- Strain into a large glass.
- Add the scoop of ice cream and slowly pour the Dr Pepper over the top.
- Drop a cherry into the foam and let it sink to the bottom.
- Serve with two straws and a beautiful Texas sunset.
Slow Cooker Dr Pepper Roast
Makes 6 to 8 Servings
Dr Pepper tenderizes the beef while the chiles add flavor and heat to this easy main dish. Serve it alongside some fresh corn, in a bun, or rolled in a flour tortilla.
- 3-pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups original Dr Pepper
- 2 dried Guajillo or Ancho chile peppers
- Rub the roast with the salt.
- Place in the slow cooker with the peppers.
- Pour in the Dr Pepper.
- Cook on low for 7 hours.
- Shred beef with 2 forks.
- Return the beef to the slow cooker and cook at least 1 more hour or up to 3 hours.