This fun recipe is a spin-off of the classic tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich combination. Homemade tomato basil soup complements fried green tomato and pimento grilled cheese even further than our well-known classic!
I like to start with my soup and, while that is cooking, make my pimento cream cheese mixture. For the sandwich, I use green Heirloom tomatoes because they fill the most space in the sandwich.
TOMATO BASIL SOUP
- 9 Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- (1) 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Spread tomato halves on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Place the tomatoes in the oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven and set aside. 4. Heat butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
5. Add onion and sauté for about 5 minutes.
6. Add the garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. Sauté for 1 more minute.
7. Add crushed tomatoes, basil, and brown sugar to the pot. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Add the vegetable stock and the roasted tomatoes to the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Use an immersion blender to purée the soup, or very carefully transfer to a blender or food processor to purée. The soup will be very hot and may need to be transferred in several batches.
9. Return the soup to the pot. Stir in the cream. Return to low heat.
PIMENTO CREAM CHEESE
You can hand blend this mixture until everything is fully incorporated.
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped pimento
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Dash of salt
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Dash of hot sauce
FRIED GREEN TOMATO DREDGE
- 1 cup of canola or safflower oil
- 1 green Heirloom tomato
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup corn starch (this will give extra crunch)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- Dash of hot sauce
- Combine the flour, corn starch, onion powder, salt, and Creole seasoning to create dredge mixture.
- Prepare egg wash by combining eggs and milk.
- In a cast iron or frying pan, heat 1 inch of oil to 350°F. A home fryer will work, or you can even use an air fryer!
- Pass each tomato slice through the egg wash, then the dredge mixture, egg wash again, and finally the dredge.
- Carefully place the tomato slice in heated oil and fry until golden brown.
- Remove and place on a paper towel to soak up the oil and allow for crispness.
- Now that all of our components are ready, we can assemble our dish. Begin by heating a skillet on medium to high heat.
- Using two slices of sourdough bread, butter each side. On the opposite side of each slice, spread the pimento cheese. You can add slices of sharp cheddar for extra delicious cheese flavor . . . yum!
- Next, place the buttered side of the bread down in a heated pan. Place the fried green tomato on one of the slices.
- Let your bread toast until lightly browned and the cheese has softened and melted.
- Sandwich bread slices together and continue to grill until the desired golden brown color has been achieved.
- Once the grilled cheese is finished, cut in half and feel free to dip it into your soup for an applauded flavorful experience! Enjoy!