These easy cut out cookies have a vibrant red color. You can sprinkle them with sugar before baking or decorate them when they have cooled!
Yields 4 Dozen Cookies
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon red food color
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and food coloring until fluffy.
- With the mixer on low speed, stir in the flour mixture until well mixed.
- Form dough into a disk. Wrap in waxed paper and chill overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the dough in 3 equal pieces.
- Place 2 of the pieces back in the refrigerator.
- Spread a piece of waxed paper on the counter. Sprinkle with flour. Top with the dough.
- Put a piece of waxed paper over the top.
- Roll the chilled dough out to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut into desired shapes and place on a parchment-covered baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, cool completely.